- Helps build both written and oral language skills
- Can be scaffolded for all students, not only ELLs
- Applies to other academic subjects such as math, science and social studies
Examples of sentence frames:
- I think the best way to solve this is _______
- The array has ______ rows and __________ columns
- I know it is a _______ because it has ____ sides. It also has ____ angles.
- Language Arts:
- I infer the theme of ____ is _________ because_______
- I predict/infer the book is about________ because_______
- I think ______ is a hero because ______
- This paragraph is mostly about ________ . The facts and details to support this are___
- When I changed/added _______ , then _______ happened
- I conclude that _________ produces a chemical reaction, because _____________. Evidence for my statement includes ______________ .
- I observed ______. When I touch the _______ , I feel ________ .
- Social Studies
- __________ is an important person/event in history because ________
- My favorite city is _____. This city is located in the state of _____. I like this city because_______
|Vocabulary with Sample Sentence Frames (thanks Miss Miller)|
- Writing Frames for the Interactive Whiteboard
- Sentence frames (from https://esl-methods.wikispaces.com/Content+%26+Language+Objectives)
- Click here for a pdf of many graphic organizers and framed paragraphs that you can use in your classroom.